Monday, December 11, 2006

Stranger in a Strange Land

Now that I have officially got over the jetlag (Ha ha, I have woken up at midnight feeling as fresh as I would at sunrise!) I am finally getting down to putting in my promised two bits on my travel beyond kaalapani.

British Airways dropped me off in Philadelphia exactly 24 hours behind schedule. I thought it was an auspicious start - I missed meeting the global head of our company - John Clarke is an aggressive New Zealander with a taste in things like rugby - so maybe it's not a bad thing.

The delay was made up by a very polite official of the CBP - quite different from the stereotype dragons at JFK. I got my visa stamped without a fuss, with a cheery "Good day to you!" Pretty decent weather, polite taxi drivers and a good hotel. Later heard from Dad that the Rittenhouse was once the best hotel in Philadelphia.

First impression? Well the Americans use a lot of concrete. The roads seemed to be a maze of express-ways and flyovers. Once I'd got over the fear of being driven on the wrong side of the road, I got to take a good look at the scenery. With all the concrete, I had one wish - if only they's paint them a bit brighter...

At the hotel got my first shock:

We would please request you not to venture out of the hotel alone in the early morning and late evening. There have been incidents just outside the hotel, so we would advise you to be careful for your safety, and always travel in groups.

There goes the planet - the only time these geezers will allow me to wander around is exactly when I have to be locked up listening to offical waffle. Made a note to myself - must get them to sponsor another trip here to see the Liberty bell. Ha!
But they made up for it with an excellent dinner at a steakhouse in the King of Prussia Mall. With the malls infiltrating our middle class existance in India, malls have become a bit of a so what for us. Plus the 43X factor, which pervades our soul - I confess that I didn't quite adore the experience.
(To be continued...)

5 comments:

Bong Mom said...

Waiting to hear your next nlog rant on Philly...
BTW just came browsing through Bongo blogs

Bong Mom said...

that should be "blog rant"

Anonymous said...

what is this 43X factor?
mehr is enamoured of malls.
wish had the moolah to be enamoured.

Urmea said...

So continue - you lazy bum!

Sayon73 said...

@didi: 43X - i.e. Rs 43 = 1$. The malls in India are no less swanky than the ones in US. Of course you don't get to see an equivalent of the christmas tree at Rockefeller Centre here in India. And in the US, as here in India, most people seem to go to the mall to hang around, not spend money!
@Urmi: Done.